!Attention Architects! The ideal thickness of soft play rubber is 2" and 3" thick. In between these, thicknesses creates headaches for the length of the bolts needed. Thicker also creates more issues. Atomik recommends no thicker than a 3" thick, soft play surface when attaching climbing holds on top of it and attaching into the concrete underneath.
- HOW TO INSTALL ON A SOFT PLAY/RUBBER SURFACE ( Coming soon. See below for the written version)
- PERTINENT INSTALL INFO (Scroll through the thumbnail images)
HOW TO INSTALL ON A SOFT PLAY/RUBBER SURFACE BEFORE RUBBER HAS BEEN INSTALLED
To install on to a Soft Play/Rubber surface, it requires some planning. Below are the details. For pictures of the hardware to use and how it will look, please look at our thumbnail images found within this product's listing.
Here is the process.
1. Pour your concrete slab/mound.
2. Drill and set all the concrete anchors. Use the actual climbing hold as your spacer. Every hold in this set has the same bolt dimensions, so you can use one grip to do that. We recommend a spacing of 18" apart in a staggered pattern.
3. Now slide the bolt through a metal sleeve(measures 1/2" OD steel tubing .035 - .040 wall thickness, ID 13/32"/.40625), and hand thread the bolt into the anchor.
4. Spray everything with a mold release that will discourage the rubber from adhering to the metal.
5. Now install your Soft Play rubber surface.
6. Once Soft Play is cured, remove the bolt AND metal sleeve.
7. Now, take the bolt, pass it through the climbing hold, and hand thread it into each anchor.
8. Tighten down the bolts for the final operation.
INSTALLING CLIMBING HOLDS AFTER RUBBER HAS BEEN INSTALLED
1. Your contractor installed the soft play rubber down with no anchors in the concrete slab.
2. Take one hold from the 10 pack 2 Bolt and drill a 3/8" hole down both holes. We use a normal drill bit. It would be best if you drilled all the way down to the concrete slab without touching the concrete. This avoids wearing out the tip of your bit.
3. Now that you have your 3/8" holes in the rubber, take a 3/8" concrete bit and drill a hole deep enough so that the Simpson Titen HD Heavy Duty Screw Anchor embeds a minimum of 2-1/2". Tapcon also has a 3/8" concrete anchor that is very similar to the Simpson.
4. Now take a THIN WALLED 9/16" Nut driver and send the screws home.
5. LENGTH OF SCREW NOTE: If you intend this method of installation from the beginning, the thinner the soft play rubber is, the easier the install. To determine the length of the screw you need, use the measurement of the thickness of the rubber plus 4" for Tapcons and 3" for concrete hollow set anchors. So, if you have 3" of soft play rubber, you would need two 7" Tapcon Anchors per hold. Or, if you have 3" of soft play rubber, you would need two 5" Allen Head Socket Cap bolts and two concrete hollow set anchors.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE CORRECT LENGTH OF BOLT FOR THIS PRODUCT TO INSTALL THROUGH SOFT PLAY RUBBER
WHEN PRE-PLACING CONCRETE ANCHORS
The hold needs 1-1/4" of the bolt to meet the hold's back, plus the thickness of your Soft Play Rubber, plus 1-1/2" embedment depth for the concrete hollow set anchor.
- You have 3" of Soft Play Rubber
- 1-1/4"(Hold) + 3"(Rubber) + 1-1/2"(Embedment) = 5-3/4"
- Bolts only come in half sizes, so in this case, you need a 6" bolt.
WHEN INSTALLING HOLDS ON TOP OF RUBBER THAT IS ALREADY IN PLACE AND NO ANCHORS WERE PRE-PLACED
- You have 3" of Soft Play Rubber
- 1-1/4"(Hold) + 3"(Rubber) + 2-1/2"(Embedment) = 6-3/4"
- Bolts only come in half sizes, so in this case, you need a 7" Tapcon Anchor bolt.
This set has been CNC designed to meet the standards of the Commerical Playground Industry. Each hold uses the same length bolt and the spacing pattern on every hold in the same for every hold. Look no further as this is our premium set to meet commercial standards.
- Measures, on average, 6" wide x 4" tall x 2-1/2" off the wall.
- The washer measurement that is embedded into the hold to the back of the hold is 1-1/4".
- 2-bolt attachment ensures the hold will never spin.
- It is sold as a ten pack.
- Organic shapes for a variety.
- Foot and hand comfort.
- An excellent choice for commercial playgrounds.
- Structural Lifetime Warranty.
- Meets ASTM and CSA standards.
- For attaching to Soft Play/Rubber surface, the steel tubing that would be required, which is not included, measures:1/2" OD steel tubing .035-.040 wall thickness, ID 13/32"/.40625.
- The length of the steel tubing required is 1-1/2" longer than the thickness of the rubber. Example: If the rubber surface is 3" thick, then the steel tubing needs to be 4-1/2" long.